Stoke City moved off the bottom of the Championship, but their 0-0 draw at Brentford will have done little to relieve the pressure on manager Nathan Jones.
The Potters, who have not won a league game in 168 days, rarely threatened the Brentford goal and had some brave defending to thank for keeping a clean sheet.
A tepid first period saw Stoke clear a Sergi Canos effort off the line while Danny Batth blocked an effort form the Spaniard.
Batth made two more good blocks after the break as Henrik Dalsgaard and Bryan Mbeumo tried to score, while Stoke’s best effort came with nine minutes to go when David Raya saved well after Peter Etebo pounced on a defensive error.
Stoke’s point – just their second of the season – sees them go above Huddersfield, who play West Bromwich Albion on Sunday, while Brentford move up to 17th place.
More to follow.
QPR midfielder Ilias Chair has signed a new three-year contract.
Chair, 21, has impressed since being given a run in the Rangers side by manager Mark Warburton.
He has made eight appearances this season and 21 in total for the Championship club since being signed from Belgian outfit Lierse SK in 2017.
The Morocco Under-23 international spent the second half of last season on loan with Stevenage, scoring six goals in 16 appearances.
Two more boys have been charged with murdering a teenager who was stabbed to death next to a London chicken shop.
Josiph Beker, 17, was attacked outside a KFC on Edgware Road at about 14:00 BST on 10 September.
Two teenage boys, aged 16 and 17, appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court charged with murder. They were remanded in custody to next appear at the Old Bailey on Thursday.
Two other 16-year-old males were also previously charged with murder.
An 18-year-old who was previously arrested over the attack has been bailed pending further inquiries, the Met Police said.
A Rachel Furness penalty was enough to beat Liverpool and give Tottenham Hotspur their first win since being promoted to the Women’s Super League.
Furness was brought down in the box by Becky Jane just before half-time.
And the Northern Ireland international made no mistake from the spot, sending Reds goalkeeper Anke Preuss the wrong way to score her first Spurs goal.
Liverpool’s Niamh Fahey was sent off for a foul on Rosella Ayane, who was through on goal, after 64 minutes.
A 17-year-old boy who was stabbed to death on a street in central London, has been named as Josiph Beker.
The teenager, also known as Yousef, was with friends outside a KFC on Edgware Road when a fight broke out between two groups on Tuesday, police said.
He was stabbed during the confrontation and died in hospital later.
Police said they were keeping an “open mind concerning motive” and urged any witnesses to come forward. No arrests have been made.
A post-mortem examination concluded Josiph died from a stab wound to the chest.
Det Ch Insp Andy Partridge said: “Lots of people were in the area at the time and may well have seen what unfolded.
“We need them to do the right thing and get in touch with what they saw along with any images or moving footage captured before, during or after the attack.”
|Betfred Super League|
|Venue: Belle Vue Date: Friday, 13 September Kick-off: 19:45 BST Coverage: BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, BBC local radio; live scores on the BBC Sport website|
Wakefield Trinity host London Broncos in Friday night’s crunch Super League relegation clash at Belle Vue.
If Broncos lose, they will return to the Championship, just 11 months after returning to the top flight.
But if they beat Wakefield for the third time this season, then Trinity could go down if both Huddersfield and Hull KR win – but even then their better points difference may save them.
Centre Ryan Atkins comes in for Trinity against an unchanged Broncos squad.
The on-loan Warrington and England centre makes his second Wakefield debut, 13 years on from his first, replacing Anthony England (hamstring).
Broncos boss Danny Ward has the luxury of naming an unchanged 19 as his team go in search of a trinity of wins over Trinity in 2019.
They marked their return to Super League back in February with a 42-24 victory over Wakefield in Ealing.
The Broncos then won 42-34 at home in May, with winger Jordan Abdull scoring a joint Super League season’s best four tries.
Wakefield (from): Arundel, Atkins, Brough, Crowther, Escare, Green, Gwaze, Hampshire, Jones-Bishop, Kershaw, King, Kirmond, Kopczak, Lyne, Miller, Randell, Tangata, Tanginoa, Wood.
London Broncos (from): Abdull, Armitage, Battye, Butler, Cunningham, Dixon, Fozard, Gee, Hindmarsh, Kear, Krasniqi, Lamb, Lovell, Mason, Morgan, Pitts, Walker, Williams, Yates.
Many families have lost their homes after a huge fire destroyed a block of flats in south-west London.
Flames quickly spread to all four floors of the building in Sherbrooke Way, Worcester Park, after fire crews were called just before 01:30 BST.
Some 125 firefighters and 20 fire engines tackled the blaze, which took five hours to get under control.
No injuries were reported but London Fire Brigade (LFB) said crews would remain there throughout the day.
Dean Fowler, who lives with his family on the top floor of the building, said he was woken in the night by someone banging on his door.
“I then heard someone screaming ‘there’s a fire, get out’, and I just got my boys and went,” he said.
He said he had only been living in the building for three weeks and had lost “everything” in the blaze, but added: “we’re alive, we’re breathing, that’s all that matters”.
Lauren Woods and Jack Edwards escaped from the top floor with their two six-month-old daughters Mia and Grace.
Louise Anns, Ms Woods’ friend and colleague, said the family had been left “devastated” having had to abandon their two cats, while their car was expected to be written off due to flooding in the building’s basement.
“Everything they have is in that flat, and it’s gone,” said Ms Anns, who has set up an online donation page to raise funds to help them.
The building is made up of 23 flats and based in The Hamptons estate, an American-style complex made up of social and private housing which was built on a former sewage treatment works.
Residents from the block and a nearby building were taken to a nearby community centre and a collection is being organised for the affected families.
One of those, Darren Nicholson, said he woke up to the sound of “crackling” and when he opened the curtains he “saw the flames and got myself and the family out”.
He said fire alarms were going off in the community areas but not in his own flat and he believed the blaze began “on the balconies”.
You may also be interested in:
At the scene
Greg McKenzie, BBC Radio London correspondent
What was once a four-storey building is now just a shell.
You can hear the block falling apart and black and white smoke continues to billow from it.
The closest building, which has also been evacuated, is quite far away so it is not possible that the fire could spread.
However, the thick smoke is going into these houses and covering the entire block.
Residents from other parts of the estate have been bringing bags of clothing and bedding to the community centre to donate to those people who have lost everything.
Fire investigators have begun work to look into “all aspects of the this fire”, LFB said.
LFB Group Manager Rick Ogden said fire crews had faced “a well developed and intense fire” which had engulfed all four floors of the building.
“We would urge people to avoid the area if possible and for residents in the immediate area to keep their windows and doors closed,” he said.
Metropolitan Thames Valley, the housing association which manages properties in the block, said it was “supporting emergency services on the ground and our priority is ensuring that residents are safe.”
Sutton Council said it had officers on the site who were “supporting anybody that needs help”.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
A 14-year-old boy accused of a stabbing murder has been remanded to a secure unit.
The teenager, from Barking, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Saturday morning over the killing of Santino Angelo Dymiter, from Plaistow.
Eighteen-year-old Mr Dymiter was found injured on the afternoon of 26 August by emergency services at Chadd Green, east London.
The judge remanded the 14-year-old to appear at the Old Bailey on Tuesday.
The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is also accused of having a knife in a public place.
A man who said he lived with one of the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire so he could claim £75,000 of handouts has been jailed.
Daniel Steventon, 37, of Brondesbury Villas, Kilburn, was put up in a hotel for eight months after claiming he flat-shared in the west London block.
In a statement to Isleworth Crown Court, the victim’s family said he had “tainted the grieving process”.
Steventon was jailed for three-and-a-half-years after he admitted fraud.
The pharmacist technician had previously pleaded guilty to one count of fraud by false representation.
Steventon claimed he had lost his home shortly after the disaster on 14 June 2017, which killed 72 people.
Between August 2017 and May 2018, Kensington and Chelsea Council spent £54,099 to put up him up in the Mercure Kensington Hotel.
They also covered a food allowance of £14,310 and £6,876 in bank payments.
Following sentencing, John Gardner, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said no-one living in the tower “had ever seen or heard” of Steventon and he had taken funds “that should have been directed to the genuine victims”.
“His fraud was calculated and left the family of the deceased victim in pain,” he said.
The first phase of the HS2 high-speed railway between London and Birmingham will be delayed by up to five years, Transport Minister Grant Shapps says.
That section of the line was due to open at the end of 2026, but it could now be between 2028 and 2031 before the first trains run on the route.
HS2’s total cost has also risen from £62bn to between £81bn and £88bn, but Mr Shapps said he was keeping an “open mind” about the project’s future.
The second phase has also been delayed.
The route – from Birmingham to Manchester and Leeds – was due to open in 2032-33, but that has been pushed back to 2035-2040.
Mr Shapps’ statement was based on a report from the chairman of HS2, Allan Cook, which concluded that the new railway could not be delivered within the current budget.
“I want the House to have the full picture. There is no future in obscuring the true costs of a large infrastructure project – as well as the potential benefits,” said Mr Shapps.
Mr Cook said the delay had occurred because the original plans did not account for the effect of building through densely-populated areas with difficult geographical features.
His report comes ahead of a government decision on whether HS2 will go ahead at all.
Last month, the the government said it planned to review the costs and benefits of the rail project, with a “go or no-go” decision by the end of the year.
The government has said that construction work will continue while the review is ongoing.
Originally expected to cost £56bn in 2015 prices, Mr Cook said the new cost estimate was adjusted for inflation, and based on today’s prices.
Mr Cook, who started his role in December, had already warned about the overspend while preparing a review of the project’s cost and schedule.
He told the Department for Transport last month that the scheme could not be delivered within its budget.
“The budget and target schedule for the programme have proved unrealistic, while at the same time the benefits have been understated,” Mr Cook said.
Concerns that rising costs and delays could threaten the viability of HS2 are not new. Documents seen by the BBC last month, showed that both the government and HS2 knew the new high speed railway was over budget and probably behind schedule years ago.
In July, Meg Hillier, chairwoman of the Public Accounts Committee, cast doubts on the 2026 opening target, calling it “unrealistic”.
The outlook for HS2 seems pretty bleak
Analysis by business correspondent Theo Leggett
This statement is likely to provide plenty of fresh ammunition to critics of a hugely controversial project.
Not only is the government admitting it will cost far more than expected to build – again – but it is also likely to take much longer than expected.
The first trains are unlikely to run until 2028 – while Manchester and Leeds won’t benefit from superfast services until at least 2035.
If the government wants to cancel or cut back the scheme, numbers like these give it a fair degree of political cover.
There is some small comfort for supporters of the plan – the suggestion that the benefits of the new railway have been “substantially undervalued”. But these haven’t been set out in firm figures.
The cross party review commissioned by the government in August is due to report later this year, and might provide broader answers. But at the moment, the outlook for HS2 seems pretty bleak.
What has the reaction been?
Andy McDonald, Labour’s shadow transport secretary, said the government had “misled both Parliament and the public about the cost of HS2”.
“People need to have confidence in the project, so this delay is bad news for the UK transport system as a whole and the north of England in particular.”
Sir John Peace, chairman of Midlands Connect and Midlands Engine, said it continued to support HS2, saying the extra rail capacity was “desperately” needed.
“I wholly believe that HS2 is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rebalance the UK economy and build a transport network fit for the future.”
What is HS2?
HS2 is a new railway line which, once completed, would run from London to the West Midlands, Manchester and Leeds.
Trains on the London to Birmingham route would be 400m-long (1,300ft) with up to 1,100 seats and would be capable of reaching speeds of up to 250mph. They would run as many as 14 times per hour in each direction.
The Department for Transport says the project will cut Birmingham to London journey times from one hour 21 minutes to 52 minutes.
Once the second phase is complete, Manchester to London journeys would take one hour seven minutes (down from two hours seven minutes), and Birmingham to Leeds 49 minutes (down from two hours).
This would effectively reduce journey times between London and Edinburgh and Glasgow by an hour to three-and-a-half hours.
The government hopes its creation will free up capacity on overcrowded commuter routes.